Thursday, February 07, 2008

Data Dude for Studio 2008?

Does DataDude works for Visual Studio 2008?  The answer can be found on this blog post by Gertd:

visual-studio-team-system-2008-database-edition.aspx

Awesome, so it is time to create a new DB project.

SQL Server 2005 project

I get this dialog box:

Connection to Local Express Instance

going back. I have followed the instructions and set my options to use my SQL server instance:

Tools - Options - Database Tools

and my data connections is set to my local instance as well

Tools - Options - Database Tools

since I don't have SQLExpress running, I decided to follow the instructions on it. I click CANCEL on the previous dialog box, and I get this error:

Remote Server Connection

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
---------------------------
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

I remember this error from before.  I has something to do with having the SQL Server Browser running for it to find it.

image

I go and turn this service on. I usually have ALL services stopped and I only run the services on demand when I need to use them. Yes, I do have lots of batch files that the only thing they do is to start/stop services... :D

humm. I still getting the error about not being able to connect.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that I am running the 64-bit version of SQL server? Just for kicks, I delete the name of my instance on the tools-Options

Tools - Options - Database tools

BINGO.  It works like a charm.  I went back and turn that SQL Server Browser service off.  It still works... :D [one more service that I don't need to run.!]

My environment is Vista  Enterprise 64-bit, SQL Server Developer Edition 64-bit, BizTalk 2006-R2, Visual Studio Team Suite 2008.  I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but by leaving the instance name blank, Studio 2008 was able to connect to my local SQL Server instance.

 

oh well.

No comments: