Friday, May 11, 2007

Who is reading my blog?

So I have a confession to make....I am addicted to Google Analytics.. :(

I initially started blogging to keep my thoughts in one place. I have heard/read from Dr. Venkat Subramaniam that if you take the time to document the bugs that you find and how you solved them. Then it will be a lot easier to remember the next time you encounter them. Also, it helps re-enforce the information in your brain, since you actually take the time to document it.

I have been blogging mainly for myself. Then, someone mentioned Google Analytics. All of the sudden, this has opened a whole new world to me. LITERALLY.!

I have started tracking traffic to my blog for about a week now, and all of a sudden I have realized that someone else is actually interested in reading my thoughts? yikes.~!

Once you sign up for the Google Analytics, then under the Marketing Optimization Report, there is another category:Visitor Segment Performance reports, drill down and you will find 2 sub-reports that are just plain COOL.

Geo Map Overlay Report: this is comparable to ClustrMaps. However, it is interactive. You can hover your mouse over any point, and it will tell you the number of visitors and the country for that spot.


Geo Location Report: this give you a lot of information at a glance, but the best is that it tells you what country of the world the person viewing your blog comes from..!


Of course there a lot of other reports (90+ reports). I like how Google went and categorized the reports into 2 main areas: Marketing Optimization and Content Optimization. On the Content Optimization you can get more details of what pages visitors came to, browser used, screen resolutions, OS versions, hostnames, etc.

We are not alone, we are *connected*... ;)




No comments: